venerdì 14 settembre 2012

A Fedora day

Today I spent the whole day with new people at the Linux User Group of the quarter where I live in. We have spoken about Free Software and about Fedora community.
During the morning I have met a guy who contacted me weeks ago after he saw the LUG advertising poster I putted down the street.
He is a power user of Linux, very informed about the history and the actual general situation of Free Software community. In real life it is not common to meet people with a big knowledge about such things, I really enjoyed speaking with him. Actually he is involved in Core Linux development community.

In the afternoon I installed Fedora to a my friend that has a Samsung N150 netbook as personal computer. Such computer with its original operating system is very slow since its memory amount is only 1 Gb. We solved this problem by installing Fedora LXDE. Since my friend does law related studies, I installed Lyx - LaTex editor (together with the classic Libreoffice) on his computer in order that his thesis will have a wonderful aspect.
Later in the day, a man come to visit the LUG, he is about 70 years old, but he is very smart about Free Software :D He used Ubuntu in the past, but he was not satisfied about it, so I suggested him to try Fedora, he accepted so I installed Fedora KDE on his machine.
He also asked me to try if his external wireless adapter could work on Fedora. He took a very big antenna from his backpack and we successfully tested it on Fedora. He told me that he uses this antenna to share internet connection with other friends that live in the building in front of his apartment :D Great!

After some days he called me at the telephone to tell me that he really enjoyed Fedora and he told me that in next days he will come again to the LUG to install the operating system also on other computers :-)
I am truly trusting about the future spread of Fedora in the panorama of the operating systems.



1 commento: